Voltaire (François-Marie Arouet) 1694-1778
Voltaire was a member of the group known as les philosophes (“the philosophers”) who supported the Enlightenment. Jean Fréron was a reactionary critic who thereby attracted Voltaire’s ire.
- Sur Fréron
- L’autre jour, au fond d’un vallon,
- Un serpent piqua Jean Fréron ;
- Que pensez-vous qu’il arriva ?
- Ce fut le serpent qui creva.
- On Fréron
- The other day down in a valley,
- A snake bit Jean Fréron ;
- What do you think happened?
- It was the snake that snuffed it.