Monday, June 1st 2015
I phoned the vet at 10:15 this morning and he told me that Freya’s situation has become worse. She is still not eating, or, rather, eating very little. She is drinking a lot, though there is no sign of kidney failure.
She has become so weak that she cannot stand and the vet believes that this is because the lack of food combined with drinking has washed the potassium out of her system. All in all, it looks rather as though she is about to leave us.
Tests can be performed but, because of her aggressive tendencies, she needs to be sedated for these and sedation itself poses dangers for her in her weakened condition.
If Freya can be saved, then I of course want this to be done. However, the problem of her not eating remains and it seems that any remedial action will be but temporary. We can go on and on with this but I do not want her last days to be more miserable than they need be.
I have agreed with the vet that she be sedated one more time so that they can take blood and check for low potassium. They will also insert a drip to improve her condition. Perhaps some hopeful possibility will be suggested by the test results but if not, or if it means more and more tests and more and more sedation without any firm promise of returning her to good health, then I will not agree to putting Freya through all that misery when the result will in any case be the same.
The vet will call me again around midday with the test results and we will decide what to do next. I am bracing myself for what I think will be the parting of the ways.