Cornwall 2007 – 2

Birthday in Sennen Cove

Today is Tigger’s birthday. Happy birthday, Tigger!

I woke up at 6:45, Summer Time. I had set the alarm for 7 as breakfast is from 8 to 9. I made tea and then we washed and dressed and went down for breakfast.

We reached the bus station just after 9 and made a choice between the available buses, electing the 9:20 to Land’s End. The sky was grey and the air very cold. We sat on the sideways seats behind the driver and I put my rucksack in the luggage well between us.

Sennen Cove

On a whim, we left the bus at Sennen Cove. There was nothing open except a little shop called The Old Boathouse. Among the goods on sale we found a black tee shirt with a silver tiger on the front and on the back. Tigger requested this as a birthday present and I was happy to oblige.

The shopkeeper, called Sharon, wrapped the tee. It was only when Tigger suggested I put the package in my rucksack that I realized I had left it on the bus. Damn!

Sharon kindly phoned the bus company and was able to raise someone who informed her that the same bus would be back in Sennen Cove at 12:30. It was now 10:30 so we repaired to the Old Success Inn for tea. That is where I am writing this.

In a while we will go for another stroll and then wait for the bus and see if the rucksack is still aboard. The sun has come out, which gives a more cheerful feeling to things.


The bus arrived 5 minutes early and as I nervously approached, the driver cheerfully pointed to my rucksack in the luggage rack near the door. Phew! I’m glad to have it back because there are a few articles in it I prefer not to lose and because it means Sharon’s kindness met with success.


Humphrey Davy

The bus ride back to Penzance was uneventful. On arrival, we found our thoughts turning to lunch. We had seen an “Organic Restaurant” and went there. Several tempting vegetarian dishes were on offer and our meal was very tasty and satisfying.

On the way back to the hotel for tea and a rest, we stopped to watch a herring gull feeding by plunging for food. I was really enchanted by this because I didn’t know they did this.

The gull was floating about on shallow water and I could see he was observing the bottom. Suddenly, he up-ended and plunged his head down into the water. Because he was so buoyant, when he went into deeper water he jumped right out of the water to achieve the momentum necessary to reach the bottom. What he was catching I don’t know but we could see he was eating.

Tigger pulled out her latest toy, a miniature video camera, one of Tchibo’s finest, and so we have a couple sequences of the plunging gull.

That’s the second interesting fact that Cornwall has taught me about gulls.

We went back to the hotel for a cup of tea and a snooze. By the time we emerged it was 7:45. At the bus station, we looked for a destination we could both go to and return from: not always a foregone conclusion in Cornwall where transport tends to go to bed early. The first bus to appear was for Mousehole so we climbed aboard after ensuring there were buses to bring us back.

Mousehole (pronounced “mouz’l”) is a pretty little town, even in the dark. The only problem was that every eatery ceased serving at 8:30. We caught the 9:15 bus back to Penzance but even there the first restaurant we tried had ceased serving. Little India in Albert St was open and welcoming and that is where I am writing this.


Thus ended our first full day in Cornwall in 2007. Back the hotel, we have made tea and are studying bus and train timetables in preparation of our next adventures.

In our room lives something that Tigger calls Biggles.

Biggles is positioned where you would expect a light fitting: in the middle of the ceiling. I spotted Biggles as soon as we arrived and had to play with him.

Biggles is an electric fan with four blades like an aeroplane propeller. The lower part of Biggles includes three light bulbs in old fashioned glass shades. Lamps and fan are controlled by two hanging pulls. The longer switches the lights on and off and isn’t much fun. The shorter controls the fan and is more fun.

One pull causes the fan to spin at top speed. This is quite alarming, especially if you are lying on the bed underneath it, because the whole fan swings about on its stalk and you might think it was about to detach itself and fall on you.

A second pull makes it spin less fast and stops it wobbling about. A third pull makes it spin slower still and a fourth cuts the current so that the propeller slows to a halt.

On the housing is a black two-position switch. According to whether the switch is up or down, Biggles spins clockwise or anti-clockwise. In one direction it blows air downwards and I can see how lying under Biggles on a hot day could be a blissful experience but I don’t see the use of it spinning in the other direction.

I don’t switch Biggles on when Tigger is on the bed as he alarms her.

About SilverTiger

I live in Islington with my partner, "Tigger". I blog about our life and our travels, using my own photos for illustration.
This entry was posted in Travel and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

Genuine comments are welcome. Spam and comments with commercial URLs will be deleted.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s