The question is: should I grow a ponytail?
I normally keep my hair cut short. In the parlance of the local £5 saloon, it’s a “number 3”. I tell them to leave the sideboards as a guarantee that my hair won’t retreat to a small disc on top of my skull and I have it combed forward, without a parting, “like Julius Caesar”. (The illustration shows Julius Caesar, not me.) The advantages of this style are that I rarely have to comb my hair and it’s easy and quick to wash. I think it suits me but I have worn it that way for so long that I have no idea what I would look like with another style.
The advantages of a ponytail would be:
- I have never had a ponytail;
- it would save spending £5 every 5 or 6 weeks;
- it would make a change;
- I could occasionally plait it as even more of a change;
- it would convince my acquaintance that I’ve finally lost it.
The disadvantages would be:
- more hair to wash;
- I have no idea how to manage it (but, as with nail varnish, I would soon find out);
- the intermediate stages would be untidy and uncomfortable.
Could be fun. Will think about it a bit more.