This article will not be to everyone’s taste. If you are squeamish or don’t like medical themes, skip it. I will not think any the worse of you.
I recounted in my (so far unfinished) account of our week in Paris that I had had to go to that wonderful city practically deaf in one ear and that I had even suffered a certain amount of pain.
During the first week back in London, I scrupulously put drops in my ear every day (or, rather, Tigger kindly did this for me) and on the Friday, went to the surgery for Nurse C to syringe my ear. She did so and declared that she could now see my eardrum. The problem, surely, was at an end.
During Sunday, however, I began to have uncomfortable sensations in my ear and by bedtime I told Tigger that there was no doubt about it: I was again deaf in my left ear. How could this be?
Being a bloke, I did nothing on Monday, hoping (as we blokes do) that the problem was temporary and would somehow cure itself. It didn’t, and during Tuesday I became convinced that I would have to go to the doctor to have the ear seen to again.
As you will know from my previous posts, we went to York on Wednesday, so it was Thursday by the time I presented myself at the surgery walk-in clinic. I was seen by Doctor D who took a look in my ears and declared that… my left ear was blocked by a piece of paper! He even tore a strip off a Post-It note and folded it to show me what it looked like. Paper? How on earth did that get there?
The doctor made a plan. As you know, I like plans: they make me feel that the problem is going to be solved and that all will soon be well.
The plan was to see Nurse C again on Friday afternoon to have my ear syringed again, in the hope that this would flush out the paper. If this didn’t work, they would get me an appointment at the ENT hospital so that an expert could remove the offending article with the appropriate tools. (Shudder.)
Came Friday afternoon and I presented myself to Nurse C who looked in my ear. Nurse C arguably sees more ears than does Doctor D and immediately said she didn’t think it was paper. Rather, she said, the drops had dried out my ear and caused the skin to flake. Such a flake was now obstructing my eardrum. The proof would presumably manifest itself after application of a pulsed jet of water into my long-suffering ear.
Well, something came out of my ear. It was hard to tell what it was but the important point is that it did come out. I should now be able to hear as well as usual.
Alas, this hope has not been fulfilled. There is still something wrong and I can barely hear with my left ear. I will obviously have to have it examined again. I will get the nurse to look at it on Friday when she tends to my other ear which also needs cleaning. Maybe she can (literally) cast some light on the subject.
Until then, I operate in a wonky world where people mumble indistinctly and I cannot tell where sounds are coming from. I dread bedtime when I take out my dolbies and this makes the situation worse. I hope Friday provides some sort of answer.